INGREEN will obtain at least 20% more value than state-of-the-art methods from the project side-stream feedstocks, which are usually considered waste, through six key steps.
The scientific approach followed by INGREEN assumes that only tailor-made biotechnological approaches and processes, validated at industrial levels, may overcome the main barriers limiting the production of bio-based ingredients, compounds, and products. The project will create new cross-sectorial interconnections within the bio-based economy for whey from cheese making, wheat and rye bran milling by-products and papermill side streams. These partnerships will set the basis for new bio-based value chains that demonstrate consumer products based on bio-based chemicals and materials that meet market requirements.
These impacts will be achieved though six key steps, namely:
- Assessment of physico-chemical properties of the chosen side streams and by-products, leading to the setup of the biotechnological processes
- Selection of the microbial consortia and enzymes and optimization of their performances at pilot scale
- Production of well characterized bio-based functional ingredients
- Production of sustainable, innovative, functional, high quality, and commercial product prototypes using the bio-based ingredients in different industrial environments
- Evaluation of the sustainability, regulatory requirements, and standardisation of the biotechnological processes and prototypes in comparison with the current benchmarks, taken further in exploitation plans and communication activities
- Completion of a deep analysis in terms of Life Cycle Analysis, Life Cycle Costing, and Techno-economic assessment to understand the feasibility and sustainability of the processes and accelerate market uptake