Activatec Ltd (Nottingham, UK) evaluates and develops processes to manufacture innovative bio-based ingredients from unused and low-value organic sources. The compounds that Activatec targets are used to provide cosmetic and nutraceutical products with unique properties.
Our mission is to provide sustainable innovations to overcome the consumption challenge faced by a growing global population, to promote a healthy lifestyle and to meet the need to become less dependent on non-renewable ingredients and products.
Activatec aims to be leaders in commercialising innovative ingredients for the cosmetics, pharma and food industry, dealing with local, national and international companies. They have over 10 years of expertise in the industry, helping companies produce innovative products. Activatec has experience in R&D partnerships with industry and research institutes, managing and participating in both local and international collaborative projects.
The company counts on a specialized team of engineers (chemical and biochemical engineers), researchers and technicians that work to provide a confidential service with an efficient and high-quality product output:
- Identify and evaluate the possible products to be targeted, technology screening and assessment to obtain them using process conceptual design, thermodynamic feasibility and a pre-investment study by an early economic evaluation.
- Demonstrate the technical feasibility and Proof of Concept to client-defined specs.
- Develop the up-scaled manufacturing process flowsheet for the chosen alternative: pre-treatment, upstream and downstream.
- Identify potential hazards and operability problems and regulatory requirements.
- Specify the equipment, operation conditions and streams, calculate the detailed material and energy balances, prepare preliminary cost estimations and the business case.
- Managing effectively contractors, scheduling and managing project phases: detailed designs (mechanical, civil, electrical, I&C), installation, commissioning and validation. Analyse bids and budgets.
Role in INGREEN:
- Identifying and classifying the conceptual biorefinery configurations according to the feedstocks, processes, platforms, products and side-streams.
- Developing strategies for the production of the high-value ingredients Lactobionic Acid (LBA) and Galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) that will be used for the innovative nutraceutical and cosmetic products.
- Designing the manufacturing process flowsheets for the production optimisation of the compounds and analyse the economic viability and impact of the new value chains proposed.